Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motion Sensors for Joying units
Question 
I now have my Joying head unit loaded with accessories and I have been using it for better than 6 months,  gotta say I really like it but I have found something missing.  This head unit is specifically designed for vehicles but it doesn't have any motion gyros.  I've got TorquePro loaded and it has the ability to track and record accelerations as you drive, but the Joying unit has no sensors like smart phones do.  It seems to me that this would be a fundamental requirement for an automotive head unit.   Has anybody out there found an acceleration sensor that can be made to work with the Joying unit and TorquePro?   A sensor with a USB port that  can be accessed by the Torque app would be the best solution, but I cannot find any applicable hardware.
This is a shout to Joying:   Motion sensors should be a requirement for any automotive android unit!!  Please add them to any new designs.
 Ok, so much for the rant.  If you agree that the head units should have motion sensors, vote with an affermitive reply and maybe Joying will take notice if there are a lot of positive replies.

AceEngineer    Cool
Old engineers don't die, they just run out of enthalpy !
A new JY-UM135N2 in my '02 Civic EP3
& a JY-UL135N2 hanger queen with a warranty repaired touch panel
Uhm... for what?
And doesn't torque generally take signals from the car itself? If the car has a motion sensor that it has on the CAN, then torque can read those values.
Cars often have accelerometers for use with skid control.
Gyros and compas together with speed data make it possible on factory HU both keep track in tunnels when GPS lost and know the direction in which car front is pointing in the morning for GPS soft be able to give proper directions right from the start. So much to do for chinese HU both in hardware and software to compare to a factory HU.
Skoda Superb 2010:  JY-VM130N2D Android 6.0.1 + J.Dashcam + J.Rear Cam + Huawei E8372 4G WiFi Dongle - J.4G/WiFi Dongle (not working)
(10-25-2017, 01:43 PM)Andy2000 Wrote: Gyros and compas together with speed data make it possible on factory HU both keep track in tunnels when GPS lost and know the direction in which car front is pointing in the morning for GPS soft be able to give proper directions right from the start. So much to do for chinese HU both in hardware and software to compare to a factory HU.

Google maps does that without gyroscope or compass.
(10-25-2017, 02:50 PM)lbdroid Wrote:
(10-25-2017, 01:43 PM)Andy2000 Wrote: Gyros and compas together with speed data make it possible on factory HU both keep track in tunnels when GPS lost and know the direction in which car front is pointing in the morning for GPS soft be able to give proper directions right from the start. So much to do for chinese HU both in hardware and software to compare to a factory HU.

Just checked this on my way from office to home: no, not in my region. Marker on Goolle maps freeses in tunnel as soon as GPS signal is lost, then when GPS reappears, marker jumps to a new position. Traffic is jammmed at this time.
Skoda Superb 2010:  JY-VM130N2D Android 6.0.1 + J.Dashcam + J.Rear Cam + Huawei E8372 4G WiFi Dongle - J.4G/WiFi Dongle (not working)
Motion sensors are not a given even in the newest cars.   A lot of us out here do not drive the newest cars, if I could afford a new car I could have everything I want via options on it, no need to mess with Joying stuff.  But I don't, my car is 15 years old and it doesn't even have any controls on the steering wheel.  TorquePro and other similar software have the ability to track skid angle, steering slip angle, lateral acceleration, start and stop accelerations etc.  They utilize the sensor suite in your smart phone which they use in conjunction with a link to your car's OBDII port.  When the app is loaded on a Joying head unit the motion sensor suite is missing and all the functions that depend on it do not work.
Big Grin  That is why I am calling on Joying to add that ability to their head units.

AceEngineer   Cool
(10-25-2017, 05:26 PM)Andy2000 Wrote:
(10-25-2017, 02:50 PM)lbdroid Wrote:

Just checked this on my way from office to home: no, not in my region. Marker on Goolle maps freeses in tunnel as soon as GPS signal is lost, then when GPS reappears, marker jumps to a new position. Traffic is jammmed at this time.

Are you in DRIVING mode?
Actually, it might not have been gmaps. It might have been alk copilot. Whatever, point remains.

(10-26-2017, 12:26 PM)AceEngineer Wrote: Motion sensors are not a given even in the newest cars.   A lot of us out here do not drive the newest cars, if I could afford a new car I could have everything I want via options on it, no need to mess with Joying stuff.  But I don't, my car is 15 years old and it doesn't even have any controls on the steering wheel.  TorquePro and other similar software have the ability to track skid angle, steering slip angle, lateral acceleration, start and stop accelerations etc.  They utilize the sensor suite in your smart phone which they use in conjunction with a link to your car's OBDII port.  When the app is loaded on a Joying head unit the motion sensor suite is missing and all the functions that depend on it do not work.
Big Grin  That is why I am calling on Joying to add that ability to their head units.

AceEngineer   Cool

I'm asking you why it matters. How does this actually BENEFIT you? What's the point? Just the flashy shiny buttons?
And for that matter, the less they add, the less they will break. They aren't exactly a first class software house. These stooges can barely write a "hello world" program.
The benefit is that I would be able to run these types of automotive apps on my head unit with a larger fixed display as opposed to running it on my smart phone.  That is the same reason I run my TPMS and other car apps on the head unit and not on my phone.  It's all about convenience, like powering on and off with the car.  Your question is like asking why have a radio in the head unit, your smart phone can do the job.

AceEngineer   Cool