Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAB+ antenna and adapter
I'm planning to use one of the USB of my DE-JY-VM131N2 (the one in the same bundle with the wi-fi antenna) to plug a DAB+ adapter. I still want to use AM/FM radio.

I REALLY dislike the Joying solution, since I'd have to put a small DAB+ dipole antenna (which doesn't support L-band anyway) somewhere in the car, and I saw that there are better alternatives (for example patch antennas that you can glue to your windshield). Does anyone have a clue on which ones are compatible?

Since I'd have to keep a USB plug busy with the DAB adapter, I am thinking about getting a splitter for the other one so I can plug two phones in my dashboard. Will the phones have enough charging power?
Information 
You do know that the USB ports are expandable,  I've got a powered hub plugged into one of mine to expand the number of USB devices I can attach.  Joying has no problem with adding a hub.  I bought a 12V to 5V DC to DC converter to power the hub so I don't tax the head unit's USB current capability.   I've got my internet dongle in one port, the dash cam in one, a PAD TV plugged into one and I have two USB ports panel mounted in the dash for memory sticks and charging devices.

AceEngineer    Cool
Old engineers don't die, they just run out of enthalpy !
A new JY-UM135N2 in my '02 Civic EP3
& a JY-UL135N2 hanger queen with a warranty repaired touch panel
I was wondering if I could in fact use my cigarette lighter socket. Yeah I do know that USB ports negotiate power handling, but I don't know if the trivial solution (splitting one without any additional power sources) will let me charge 2 phones (in use!)
(11-14-2017, 05:34 PM)TheDarkEngineer Wrote: I was wondering if I could in fact use my cigarette lighter socket. Yeah I do know that USB ports negotiate power handling, but I don't know if the trivial solution (splitting one without any additional power sources) will let me charge 2 phones (in use!)

Depends on how much current those two phones each consume.
Obviously they won't be able to charge as fast with each only receiving 250 mA, but as long as 250 mA is more than what the phones are actually consuming, then they *will* charge.
(11-14-2017, 01:16 PM)AceEngineer Wrote: You do know that the USB ports are expandable,  I've got a powered hub plugged into one of mine to expand the number of USB devices I can attach.  Joying has no problem with adding a hub.  I bought a 12V to 5V DC to DC converter to power the hub so I don't tax the head unit's USB current capability.   I've got my internet dongle in one port, the dash cam in one, a PAD TV plugged into one and I have two USB ports panel mounted in the dash for memory sticks and charging devices.

AceEngineer    Cool

Isn't there an off-the-shelf solution consisting in a USB *data* HUB powered by the car's cigarettes lighter?
(11-16-2017, 06:34 AM)TheDarkEngineer Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 01:16 PM)AceEngineer Wrote: You do know that the USB ports are expandable,  I've got a powered hub plugged into one of mine to expand the number of USB devices I can attach.  Joying has no problem with adding a hub.  I bought a 12V to 5V DC to DC converter to power the hub so I don't tax the head unit's USB current capability.   I've got my internet dongle in one port, the dash cam in one, a PAD TV plugged into one and I have two USB ports panel mounted in the dash for memory sticks and charging devices.

AceEngineer    Cool

Isn't there an off-the-shelf solution consisting in a USB *data* HUB powered by the car's cigarettes lighter?

Did you even try to google that? There are hundreds of these! And of course the most simple ones are the plugins with 1, 2 or 3 connections.
Have a look at my Joying_Extra_Tools.apk and the rooting script
JY-VL130N2, ROM 20170901 6.0.1 with mods
(11-16-2017, 10:06 AM)hvdwolf Wrote:

AceEngineer    Cool

Did you even try to google that? There are hundreds of these! And of course the most simple ones are the plugins with 1, 2 or 3 connections.

Why would you assume that I didn't?
According to what I saw (and what you linked too), none of those has a data input and/or works as a USB switch. That's the reason I asked.
(11-17-2017, 07:17 AM)TheDarkEngineer Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 10:06 AM)hvdwolf Wrote:

AceEngineer    Cool

Why would you assume that I didn't?
According to what I saw (and what you linked too), none of those has a data input and/or works as a USB switch. That's the reason I asked.

You asked for a usb hub. That's why I gave you a link to usb hubs.
Now you mention that you want a usb switch. A usb switch is something else than a usb hub but again: google gives me enough results. I let you search yourself before you say that you again mean something else.
Have a look at my Joying_Extra_Tools.apk and the rooting script
JY-VL130N2, ROM 20170901 6.0.1 with mods
This is interesting: http://www.hubgear.com/usbg-3x4m.php

Automotive USB hub with 12V power input...  not cheap, but seems to be quite solid..

JY-UL124N2