Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mono amp for subwoofer
Hi all, i hope you all had a merry Christmas Smile

In my car i have subwoofer speaker, and then i'd like to use it with SUB output of my HU (JY-UM124N2D, with digital amp). Then i need a mono amp for sub as i read in some thread, but do you have advices of what kind of amp ?

thanks for your help
JY-UM128N2D (digital amp Inside) on Chevrolet Tahoe 2005 -> changed with a JY-UM124N2 after i finally found my car amplifier !
It was my understanding that the "D" units do NOT HAVE ANY preamp outputs, let alone a preamp LPF for a sub. The regular non-"D" units have 5 preamp outputs, one of which is LPF for SUB.
Hi ibdroid,

In fact D version have 3 low level outputs : FL, FR, SUB.
That is why I could use my integrated subwoofer, but I need an amplifier.

What does 'LPF' means?

Thanks
JY-UM128N2D (digital amp Inside) on Chevrolet Tahoe 2005 -> changed with a JY-UM124N2 after i finally found my car amplifier !
Ok, I found, this means low pass filter.

Any advices of what I should bought? On Amazon I found some mono amplifier for 20 euro....
No idea. Surprises me that there are any low level outputs on it, are they actually hooked up to anything? The product pages for the "D" units specifically say that they do NOT work with external amplifiers, and the internal design does not suggest that there is any connection. Test the outputs to see if any sound actually comes out of them. IF IT DOES, then you just need a regular old mono amp, probably a 200 watt would be more than enough for a built-in speaker.

If NOTHING comes out the line outs, then you'll need a hackish stereo amp with HIGH LEVEL inputs. You would split the left and right front outputs (4 wires) into the stereo amp, and the amp will have a diagram for mono output, which will involve one of the two wires for left, and one of the two wires for right, giving you mixed left+right.

The sound quality will generally be lower with high level inputs, and even worse when the input sound quality sucks donkey balls (because the amplifier will amplify all the distortions), but its kind-of doable.
Joying onsite notes sometimes contradict one with another: they exlicidly state on VW HU page that their HU do not support factory (VW) rear view cameras, but on accessory page one can buy an $70 adapter (which I lately did) to attach VW camera to Joying HU. I was misled by first statement and had to buy their camera.
Skoda Superb 2010:  JY-VM130N2D Android 6.0.1 (Sept'17) + J.Dashcam + J.Rear Cam + Huawei E8372 4G WiFi Dongle
Yes, i tested it with speakers, there is sound (very little sound, can hardly hear it as this is low leve)
But i read that low level outputs do not increase with volume knob. I hope that it will be different for sub.

Thanks for your replies
Personally I would use Rockford Fosgate Punch mono amps which have a low pass adjustable cross-over.  Punch will work great; it is between Power and Prime in quality.
Thanks for the advice,

i'll take a look at it