Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BT Phone - Can't hear other party
Greetings all Smile .  I need your help figuring something out.

My problem: When I make or receive calls through the headunit I am unable to hear the other person.  Everything else works fine.  They can hear me, the butons to end call, switch to the handset, etc are functional.

Head Unit Model: JY-UM135N2
Vehicle: 2005 Jeep Grand Cheeroke Limited
Harness: from ebay

What's weird is music streams over bluetooth just fine to the unit.

I tried raising all of the volume sliders to max (radio,aux,tv,bt music,navi,music, and btphone) and then raising the volume of the unit to its max and i noticed if i try really hard i can just barely hear the other caller.

I’ve emailed support about this was told it has something to do with the mic wire not being connected properly.  I was sent the following pictures
https://imgur.com/a/dI0P3
https://imgur.com/banqulT

So I took it to the shop that I paid to install the unit and the man there says its a software issue or something is wrong with the unit’s internals - insisting that he installed it correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get to hear the other caller via bt?
Joying obviously took your problem from the wrong end... the microphone connection would be responsible if the other person couldn't hear you...

Have you checked the output volume of your phone? If the BT volume is too low it could cause something like this.

JY-UM124N2
Joying obviously took your problem from the wrong end... the microphone connection would be responsible if the other person couldn't hear you...

Have you checked the output volume of your phone? If the BT volume is too low it could cause something like this.

Yes I checked all my volumes.
But look at this:

Check out my weird fade/balance issues though

https://youtu.be/LsrxGm6tgEI

Joying support says its the harness i have that needs to be reinstalled. Of course the shop thinks it's wired just fine! Rolleyes
Joying is a bunch or dirt bag morons. HFP on these units is VERY "hit or miss". One of the big reasons why I'm developing a truly and totally custom system using 96boards hikey960. You CANNOT depend on the HFP working on a joying. I'd say that the audio connects correctly about 5% of the time (in my experience), and with TWO units. One running a very customized software stack, and one running more or less what they sold it with. Your installer is correct -- they installed the unit fine, it IS a software issue.

Note that HFP audio is more likely to connect correctly very shortly after the unit boots up. If you are hours into a drive, it is pretty much guaranteed to fail.

I believe that the problem is that they are running SCO over HID rather than having the bluetooth chip handle audio decode and send it directly to the DSP via i2s (the "normal" way), and it is probably because they couldn't wrap their heads around the HAL requirements for supporting HID-audio. Essentially, HID-audio for HFP-client mode has to be handled *entirely* within the primary audio HAL, in response to a parameter being sent to it: "hid_enable=true". Currently, the ONLY HAL that actually implements this is the QUALCOMM HAL, which is FAR too complex for those imbeciles to comprehend. The Android SCO-over-HID code path is completely untested, and at least in Android 8.x, won't even compile if you enable it. Joying's vendor obviously rewrote that audio pathway, and in typical Chinese quality.

Don't expect this to ever work. Don't expect to get them to admit to understanding the problem.